Martinis are a classic cocktail that have enjoyed much popularity for well over 100 years. Traditionally made with gin, many modern specialty martinis are made with vodka or flavoured vodkas, fresh fruit juices, creams, and liqueurs.
Did you know that at Vista 18 Restaurant we have over 20 different unique martinis? Tantalize your taste buds with “Here’s looking at you kid” or “Stupid is as stupid does” or “Nobody puts baby in the corner.” Even looking at the menu promises to put a smile on your face.
Here are some fun martini facts:
- The first item to be put in a martini was a cherry.
- The martini was created somewhere between 1862 and 1876 (no one knows for sure).
- The name Martini comes from the city of Martinez, California (1872)
- The stem on a martini glass was designed so that your hand doesn’t come into contact with the bowl holding the martini.
- The martini first gained popularity during the Prohibition era.
- A classic martini is stirred so as not to bruise the gin – but the idea of bruising the gin is much debated. One agreed upon fact – a shaken martini will have a different flavour than a stirred martini.
The next time you’re at Vista 18, try one of our delicious martinis. Don’t know which one to pick? Ask our staff to surprise you. They’re all good